Monthly Archives: August 2013
SACRAMENTO, CA – The body of a man reported missing yesterday was pulled from the American River this morning.
The body was discovered Friday morning just after 9:30 near the upper Sunrise boat ramp and the Coroner’s office has confirmed the body is of a missing man from Citrus Heights.
The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department recovered the body after conducting a second sweep of the river after search efforts on Thursday failed.
The man was reported missing by family members Thursday evening. Park rangers located the man’s vehicle on an access road near the American River in Rancho Cordova. A search was initiated Thursday night lasting into the early morning hours for Friday.
Officials have said it does not appear foul play was involved.
The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has not released the man’s name pending next of kin notification.
SACRAMENTO, CA – Lil Wayne’s ‘America’s Most Wanted Tour’ hit Sacramento as Wayne and his posse descended upon Sleep Train Arena (aka Arco Arena).
Now when we say hit Sacramento, any Lil Wayne fan knows what we mean by that, and if you were there, you definitely know what we mean by that – just saying.
On the evenings menu was Lil Wayne’s hand-picked group of rappers T.I., 2 Chainz, Hit Boy, Adrien Broner and G-Eazy.
Oakland’s own Gerald Earl Gillum, better known to fans as G-Eazy kicked it off with his obscenity laced rap as he worked the few fans that had arrived for the 7 p.m. start time. G-Eazy did a decent job of getting the crowd on their feet, but many fans were streaming in and searching for their seats.
Boxer turned rapper, Adrien Broner, took the stage with Band Camp, leaving little doubt that Broner has his eyes set on moving up in the ranks of rap music and possibly leaving his boxing career on the mat.
Rapper Chauncey Hollis better known as Hit-Boy followed Broner. Their positions in the line-up should have been reversed, or better yet he should have opened the show, as he was more miss than hit. The crowd just didn’t seem to get into it with Hit-Boy, but that could have been that fans were anticipating the meat of the show with T.I., 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne.
As things started heating up, Sleep Train Arena started filling up, but never quite reached capacity, with the upper deck pretty empty.
Tauheed Epps also known as 2 Chainz lit up the stage with a huge replica of the front of a yacht with the words B.O.A.T.S. II: Me Time making a play on his new album of the same name due out in September.
The controversial rapper has found himself on both sides of the law over the last couple of months. In San Francisco he was robbed while outside of a pot dispensary and a couple of days later found himself getting hauled off a plane after checking baggage that contained marijuana and promethazine.
Promethazine is the key ingredient used for making ‘sizzurp’ a dangerously potent drug popularized in the southern rap scene. Several months ago Lil Wayne was rumored to be on his deathbed after bingeing on sizzurp, but those rumors were never proven to be true.
After years spent recording as a part of hip-hop duo Playaz Circle, 2 Chainz has gained notoriety and has seen major success in the last year. “It’s surprising when people ask to take my picture at the airport,” 2 Chainz told the Huffington Post. We think he may be confused with getting his mug shot.
2 Chainz brought his A-game and, here again, we believe there was a mistake in the line-up. 2 Chainz should have been second to Lil Wayne rather than T.I. While the both did a fantastic job, 2 Chainz’s performance was more polished and the set more dramatic than T.I.’s.\
T.I. turned in a lack-luster performance even though he performed some of his hits such as “Top Back,” “Rubber Band Man” and “U Don’t Know Me.” His choice of songs was questionable as he went from past hits to more recent material, leaving his better material on the cutting room floor.
By the time Lil Wayne took the stage, fans were well into the munchies after enduring a twenty minute set-change in between acts.
When Weezy took the stage he was flanked by skate ramps, complete with skaters and a pair of catwalks jutting out to the front of the crowd. Pyrotechnics ruled the night along with huge video screens flashing a hybrid butterfly in the likeness of Wayne, which was Lil Wayne’s own play on his new album I Am Not a Human Being 2.
With Wayne shooting lyrics in rapid-fire fashion, the crowd couldn’t help but get into the moment as he hit fans with hits such as “No Worries.” Wayne also ran into trouble as he condensed some of his bigger hits in favor of full versions of his more recent work like “Love Me” and Karate Chop.”
While fans really appreciated and totally rocked out to Lil Wayne’s set I believe the currently controversial 2 Chainz may have been better off head-lining the show. Not to take away from Lil Wayne’s star power and fan attraction, but at the end of the day 2 Chainz had a bit more energy and a bit more polish.
The legendary rocker will be visiting Sammy’s Rockin’ Island Bar and Grill in downtown Roseville next Thursday. A couple of blocks away he’ll be visiting Roseville’s brand-spanking new Town Square at 311 Vernon Street, just a short walk from Sammy’s Rockin’ Island.
While in town the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer will be presenting the first two Sammy’s Gives Back checks to two local charities at 2 p.m. in Town Square. How cool it that?
Sammy’s Gives Back is a program created by Sammy’s Rockin’ Island Bar and Grill and the Hagar Family Foundation. A portion of the proceeds of the restaurant are returned to the community in the form of monthly $2,500 awards to local charities. The first two charities to receive these awards are the Placer Food Bank and the Me-One Foundation.
Hagar will then head over to Thunder Valley Casino Resort for a 7 p.m. performance as thousands of fans will get a chance to see the legend at work. Opening for Hagar will be Rival Sons, whose latest album “Head Down” has been nominated as Best New Album at this year’s Classic Rock Roll of Honour.
Sammy’s Rockin’ Island will be hosting a post-concert celebration with opening act Rival Sons performing at Sammy’s beginning at 10 p.m. and attendance is free and open to all.
About Place Food Bank
Placer Food Bank is the leading hunger-relief charity in Placer, El Dorado and Nevada counties. They serve as the primary food collection and distribution center for hunger-relief efforts in our area; distributing fresh and non-perishable food to the hungry through our network of more than 60 local charitable organizations. They are dedicated to feeding the hungry, educating the community about hunger and advocating for hunger relief.
About Me One Foundation
The Me-One Foundation is a non-profit corporation created to provide adult cancer patients and their families with an environment where they can be allowed to embrace life without cancer as the first and foremost thought of their every waking moment. They provide families with activities and events to promote courage, hope, laughter, and enjoyment through Camp Challenge. This is a cost free weekend getaway for families afflicted by cancer and in need of a place of joy and relaxation that will focus them on living life, and not fighting disease. By providing this haven of hope, they allow families to be victorious, even if temporarily, over cancer, and keeping life’s scoreboard at Cancer-Zero; Me-One.
ROCKLIN, CA – The Rocklin Police Department in conjunction with the Rocklin Fire Department have made an arrest in connection with a recent fire at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Rocklin.
According to a press release, 51-year-old Hoyt Starkey of Auburn was arrested for setting a fire located at the Howard Johnson Hotel at 4420 Rocklin Road. He is also a person of interest in another fire at the same hotel.
During the investigation investigators were able to recover evidence identifying Starkey as a suspect. This fire caused only minor damage, however, it was still considered a felony violation.
Starkey was taken into custody at a residence in Auburn on Wednesday and booked into the Placer County Jail for Arson of an Inhabited Dwelling. He is being held on $150,000 bail.
Another fire was reported on Sunday August 25, when a hotel room mattress caught fire at the same Howard Johnson Hotel. This particular fire caused fire sprinklers to activate, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage to that room and ten others in the hotel. Starkey is considered a person of interest in this case as well, and the investigation continues.
INCLINE VILLAGE, NV – A San Mateo man drowned on Friday after falling off a paddleboard at Lake Tahoe.
According to authorities 42-year-old Kenneth Campo of San Mateo drowned while swimming with a paddleboard approximately 200 to 300 yards offshore at Sand Harbor State Park.
Nevada Department of Wildlife spokesman Edwin Lyngar said the paddleboard was equipped with a life jacket and foot leash, but Campo did not utilized either device.
Lyngar told the Nevada Appeal that Campo was retrieved from 20 feet underwater by a rental company employee.
First responders were unable to resuscitate Campo. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
CHICO, CA – A student was killed Tuesday at California State University, Chico, after a tree branch fell and landed on her.
According to the Chico Enterprise-Record, 18-year-old Pa Houa Lor was struck and killed by a falling branch. The branch reportedly fell around 20 feet, striking Lor in the head.
Emergency responders found Lor unconscious when they arrived. She was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Chico State spokesman Joe Wills stated that an arborist inspected some of the trees on campus prior to the start of the semester.
Wills said nothing like this has happened in the 16 years he’s been working there.
The coroner’s office says an autopsy is planned.
SACRAMENTO, CA – The 17-year-old teen who was shot at Meadowland Park in Sacramento on Tuesday has been identified.
According to the Sacramento Coroner the teen, who was shot on Tuesday and later died on Wednesday, was identified as Timothy Heu of Sacramento.
The Sacramento Police Department is investigating the shooting that occurred on Tuesday, in the 3800 block of Robinridge Way, as a homicide.
Heu was shot Tuesday afternoon at approximately 3:30. He was taken to a local hospital where he was listed in critical condition, but later died on Wednesday.
There have been no arrests made in the case.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 916-264-5471.
SACRAMENTO, CA – A 17-year-old who was shot on Tuesday at a park in Sacramento died Wednesday.
The Sacramento Police Department is now investigating the shooting that occurred on Tuesday, in the 3800 block of Robinridge Way, as a homicide.
The victim was shot Tuesday afternoon at approximately 3:30. The victim was taken to a local hospital where he was listed in critical condition, but later died on Wednesday.
The identity of the victim has not been released and there have been no arrests.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 916-264-5471.
According to an affidavit filed on Monday, an Oklahoma City police officer pulled over 2 Chainz’s tour bus on Thursday after noticing the passenger side taillights were not functioning on Interstate 40.
When the driver of the bus, Sedric A. Brooks opened the door to the bus the officer, “smelled an overwhelming odor of marijuana,” and he could see smoke circulating inside the bus around the door.
Brooks was told to get back on the bus and as he boarded he quickly closed the door and told officers he was not authorized to let them in.
Passenger Abdullah Mujahid, shook his head “no” after he was ordered off the bus and actually pointed to a small copy of the U.S. Constitution.
All the passengers refused to get off the bus, so police towed it to a training facility that was close by. After nine hours officers were able to obtain a search warrant, at which time everyone vacated the bus.
Tauheed Epps, better known as 2 Chainz, along with ten others were arrested for obstructing a police officer. All were released after paying $2,000 bail. Officers found narcotics on the bus and may be filing more charges against the occupants.
The 35-year-old rapper had performed with Lil Wayne and T.I. in Oklahoma City the night before.
But wait! It doesn’t stop there.
According to TMZ there was even more drama on one of the tour buses in Lil Wayne’s posse.
A female fan said she was invited on board one of the buses after their show in OKC, when a member of the entourage punched her in the face, breaking her jaw.
The victim says her jaw was broken in two places, requiring surgery. Her jaw is wired shut and she’s now on a liquid diet for six weeks to give it time to heal.
According to the woman, an unidentified entourage member who had been hitting on her during the concert invited her onto one of Lil Wayne’s tour buses. That’s when he reached under her shirt and grabbed her breast. She slapped his hand away and that’s when he went Mike Tyson on her, punching her in the face.
In San Francisco, 2 Chainz was mugged in front of a marijuana dispensary store and then a couple of days later was pulled off a plane and arrested at LAX after officials discovered marijuana and promethazine in his luggage.
Promethazine is the key ingredient used for making ‘sizzurp’ a dangerously potent drug popularized in the southern rap scene.
Lil Wayne and his crew, including 2 Chainz, will be performing tonight at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento.
Let’s see what kind of trouble they can get into in Sacramento.
RIO LINDA, CA – A body was discovered buried in a field in Rio Linda on Tuesday, after a tip was received by the Placer County Sheriff’s Department.
According to the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department, the Placer County Sheriff’s Department contacted detectives in Sacramento on Monday about a person being buried in a field in the 7500 block of 34th Street in Rio Linda.
Homicide detectives responded to the location Tuesday morning, Using search-and-rescue dogs to assist in the search, detectives were able to locate a makeshift grave-site on the property.
The Sacramento County District Attorney’s crime lab was called out to assist in the excavation of the human remains.
The initial information provided to detectives was consistent with what they found at the scene, leading them to the person responsible for the victim’s death. Detectives were able to corroborate the initial information, resulting in the arrest of 47-year-old William Olsen. Olsen was already in custody for auto theft.
Positive identification of the victim has not been made, but detectives are currently looking into the possibility that the victim was reported missing from outside of Sacramento County.