Local/Breaking News

RIM fire caused by marijuana grow

Fire Chief Todd McNeil  YouTube screenshot

Fire Chief Todd McNeil
YouTube screenshot

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA – The Rim fire is in its third week and there’s speculation that the fire may have been started by an illegal marijuana grow site.

UPDATE: On Thursday, September 5, officials said the RIM fire was caused by a hunter who started an illegal campfire.

CBS13 found that little nugget of information in a 20 minute YouTube video posted on August 23rd.

Area of fire Google Maps

Area of fire
Google Maps

In the video at approximately 6:17 minutes in, Twain Harte Fire Chief Todd McNeil says, “It started down in the brush. We know its human caused, there’s no lightning in the area,” he said. “Highly suspect it might have been some grow, marijuana grow type thing.”

According to CBS13, the U.S. Forest Service says the marijuana grow is simply a rumor at this stage.

Officials have made progress on the case, but refuse to discuss any details at this time.

The Rim fire, now considered to be the fourth largest fire in California history, has burned over 235,000 acres, equating to more than 350 square miles. As of Tuesday morning the fire was 75 percent contained. There have been 111 structures destroyed, including 11 homes. Currently there are 5,500 structures still being threatened. Over 4,300 firefighters are on scene fighting the blaze.

The area where the fire is burning has not had a fire in close to 100 years, so there’s been plenty of vegetation fueling the blaze.

 

DMCA.com Protection Status

Quakes strike East Texas area again

quakeTIMPSON, TX – Timpson residents continue to have their nerves rattled after another 4.1 earthquake hits the area.

According to the USGS a 4.1 magnitude earthquake struck at 4:52 p.m. two miles outside of Timpson this afternoon. There currently are no reports of injuries or damages.

The quake was only three miles below ground, causing the quake to be felt across the region.

UPDATE: A second quake measuring 4.3 hit at 6:51 and was centered only 1 mile from Timpson.

Earlier this year Timpson was hit with a number of minor earthquakes ranging from 2.8 to 4.8.

RECENT EAST TEXAS EARTHQUAKE TIMELINE
•May 10, 2012 – (3.9) NW of Timpson.
•May 17, 2012 – (4.8) ENE of Timpson.
•May 20, 2012 – (2.7) SSW of Timpson.
•May 26, 2012 – (2.5) SE of Timpson.
•June 16, 2012 – (2.1) SSW of Timpson.
•December 7, 2012 – (2.8) SW of Timpson.
•January 25, 2013 – (4.1) W of Timpson.
•January 29, 2013 – (2.8) S of Timpson
•January 31, 2013 – (2.7) S of Timpson
•September 2, 2013 – (4.1) WNW of Timpson

In those quakes there was some minor damage to chimneys, but no major damage was reported.

Researchers say previous quakes in the area have been caused by the use of disposal wells to store waste form oil and gas drilling. Timpson sits in the drilling area of the Haynesville Shale, one of several areas in Texas experiencing a drilling boom.

“At the moment, we are actually linking them [earthquakes] to injection wells that are located close to where the earthquakes are in the Timpson area,” Dr. Wesley Brown, an Associate Professor in the Department of Geology at Stephen F. Austin University told Light and Champion (a local newspaper) in December. “We have one a little bit to the north, and [the wells] are north and south of each other,” said Dr. Brown. “The volume, especially for the one in the south, is up over 200,000 barrels of water per month.”

Today’s earthquake is in the same area as ten active disposal wells in Shelby County, which is the same area as the other quakes from earlier in the year.

In Timpson, Court Clerk Mullins told the StateImpact that she doesn’t remember many quakes in the area until around a year ago, but some quakes were reported there in the 1950s.

A magnitude of 4.0 is generally the point at which earthquakes can start to cause light damage. A magnitude 5.0 or higher, can damage poorly-constructed buildings.

Stockton sees their third killing in as many days

Police-lightsSTOCKTON, CA – Three people have been shot to death in Stockton in as many days.

According to the Stockton Police Department, detectives were investigating a homicide that occurred at 5:48 this morning in the 1600 block of Julian Street in Stockton.

Initial reports are that the shooting was due to a home invasion and it was unknown if the shooting victim was a victim of the home invasion, or the perpetrator.

The three homicides come on the heels of officials announcing a drop in violent crimes in comparison of last year. This marks the 19th homicide compared to last years 46.

At this time, information is very limited and police is encouraging anyone that may have known what happened to call SPD at (209) 937-8377, the Investigations Unit at (209) 937-8323 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $10,000. Callers can remain anonymous.

Cell phone users can text information to 274637 (CRIMES) by entering the keyword “TIPSPD” followed by their tip. Internet users can visit the Police Department’s Facebook page and click “Submit a Tip.”

Officer’s gun discharges at children’s demonstration

lodiLODI, CA – A Lodi police officers gun discharged during a SWAT demonstration at a children’s community event.

Luckily there were no injuries after an officer’s gun was discharged last week at a local community event involving children.

The Lodi Police Department was displaying some of their SWAT equipment to children when a 6 to 8 year old boy came up behind an officer and was able to pull the trigger on the officer’s handgun, which was secured in a holster.

The boy fled the scene when the gun went off.

The officer did sustain minor injuries, but no one else was harmed.

“This should have never happened, especially in an environment where children were present,” Lodi Police Chief Mark Helms said. “As peace officers, we have a responsibility to the public to ensure our weapons and equipment are properly safeguarded. We’re fortunate this event didn’t result in a tragedy.”

The focus of the investigation is to determine how the weapon was discharged and to prevent something similar from happening in the future.

Police would like to talk to the child so they can get a better understanding of how the incident unfolded.

Second killing over weekend in Stockton

Area of shooting Google Maps

Area of shooting
Google Maps

STOCKTON, CA – Stockton Police are investigating another homicide, the second murder in less than three days in the troubled city.

According to the Stockton Police Department, officers were called out Sunday morning just after 2 a.m. to the area of West Park and North Commerce streets in downtown Stockton after receiving reports of shots fired and a man down.

When officers arrived they discovered a 29-year-old man who was apparently shot in the head. The victim was declared dead at the scene.

Twenty-two-year old Shaun Alvarado told Recordnet.com, “I just heard a loud bang,(the victim) was just lying on the ground. He appeared to be shot in the face.”

The man’s death marked the second homicide of the weekend in Stockton and it was the 18th homicide of the year, still down from 46 last year.

Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to call the Stockton Police Department at (209) 937-8377, the Investigations Unit at (209) 937-8323 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $10,000. Callers can remain anonymous.

Cell phone users can text information to 274637 (CRIMES) by entering the keyword “TIPSPD” followed by their tip. Internet users can visit the Police Department’s Facebook page and click “Submit a Tip.”

Stockton teen shot and killed

Area of shooting Google Maps

Area of shooting
Google Maps

1234210_485227244906538_2018846804_n

Edgar Frayre
Courtesy Stockton PD

STOCKTON, CA – Stockton police are searching for the killer of a 16-year-old boy who was shot to death Friday night.

According to the Stockton Police Department, 19-year-old Edgar Frayre is wanted in the shooting death of a 16-year-old teenager, who was later identified as Kevric Beverly Jr.

Beverly was fatally shot around 9:20 Friday night in the 600 block of Salem Way. He was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

According to Recordnet.com residents in the area have reported open drinking and drug use, daily fights, prostitution and frequent gunfire. Residents blame slow response times to problem, unless it involves gunshots.

Edgar Frayre wanted for murder

Edgar Frayre wanted for murder

Frayre is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall and 150 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. He is considered armed and dangerous, according to police.

Kevric Beverly Sr has posted the attached photo to his Facebook page, claiming this is a photo of Frayre and is urging anyone with information to contact authorities immediately.

Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to call the Stockton Police Department at (209) 937-8377, the Investigations Unit at (209) 937-8323 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $10,000. Callers can remain anonymous.

Cell phone users can text information to 274637 (CRIMES) by entering the keyword “TIPSPD” followed by their tip. Internet users can visit the Police Department’s Facebook page and click “Submit a Tip.”

Body of missing man pulled from American River

Police-lightsSACRAMENTO, CA – The body of a man reported missing yesterday was pulled from the American River this morning.

The body was discovered Friday morning just after 9:30 near the upper Sunrise boat ramp and the Coroner’s office has confirmed the body is of a missing man from Citrus Heights.

The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department recovered the body after conducting a second sweep of the river after search efforts on Thursday failed.

The man was reported missing by family members Thursday evening. Park rangers located the man’s vehicle on an access road near the American River in Rancho Cordova. A search was initiated Thursday night lasting into the early morning hours for Friday.

Officials have said it does not appear foul play was involved.

The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has not released the man’s name pending next of kin notification.

Auburn man arrested for Rocklin fire

Hoyt Starkey Credit: Rocklin PD

Hoyt Starkey
Credit: Rocklin PD

ROCKLIN, CA – The Rocklin Police Department in conjunction with the Rocklin Fire Department have made an arrest in connection with a recent fire at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Rocklin.

According to a press release, 51-year-old Hoyt Starkey of Auburn was arrested for setting a fire located at the Howard Johnson Hotel at 4420 Rocklin Road. He is also a person of interest in another fire at the same hotel.

During the investigation investigators were able to recover evidence identifying Starkey as a suspect. This fire caused only minor damage, however, it was still considered a felony violation.

Starkey was taken into custody at a residence in Auburn on Wednesday and booked into the Placer County Jail for Arson of an Inhabited Dwelling. He is being held on $150,000 bail.

Another fire was reported on Sunday August 25, when a hotel room mattress caught fire at the same Howard Johnson Hotel. This particular fire caused fire sprinklers to activate, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage to that room and ten others in the hotel. Starkey is considered a person of interest in this case as well, and the investigation continues.

Man falls off paddleboard and drowns at Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe Credit:Randy Miramontez

Lake Tahoe
Credit:Randy Miramontez

INCLINE VILLAGE, NV – A San Mateo man drowned on Friday after falling off a paddleboard at Lake Tahoe.

According to authorities 42-year-old Kenneth Campo of San Mateo drowned  while swimming with a paddleboard approximately 200 to 300 yards offshore at Sand Harbor State Park.

Nevada Department of Wildlife spokesman Edwin Lyngar said the paddleboard was equipped with a life jacket and foot leash, but Campo did not utilized either device.

Lyngar told the Nevada Appeal that Campo was retrieved from 20 feet underwater by a rental company employee.

First responders were unable to resuscitate Campo. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Chico student killed by tree branch

Pa Houa Lor Contributed photo

Pa Houa Lor
Contributed photo

CHICO, CA – A student was killed Tuesday at California State University, Chico, after a tree branch fell and landed on her.

According to the Chico Enterprise-Record, 18-year-old Pa Houa Lor was struck and killed by a falling branch. The branch reportedly fell around 20 feet, striking Lor in the head.

Emergency responders found Lor unconscious when they arrived. She was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Chico State spokesman Joe Wills stated that an arborist inspected some of the trees on campus prior to the start of the semester.

Wills said nothing like this has happened in the 16 years he’s been working there.

The coroner’s office says an autopsy is planned.

Free counters!