According to the Vallejo Police Department, officers responded to a report of a shooting at Vallejo Mobile Estates located in the 100 block of San Miguel Road at 5:45 Wednesday morning.
Officers arrived to find a man shot inside a mobile home. The man was believed to have been in his 40’s. He was rushed to a local hospital where he later died.
The woman was described as “completely unclothed” when she fled the scene.
A SWAT team has responded to the park and all entrances to the park have been shutdown.
According to Vallejo Police Lt. Kenny Park, “They believe they have a possible lead, they’re getting ready to search that area.”
BART officials are scrambling for answers today after the tragic shooting where officer Michael Maes, a 10 year veteran of the department, accidentally shot fellow officer 42-year-old Sgt. Tom Smith during the search of an empty apartment. The apartment had been empty for at least a week, since the suspect, 20-year-old John Henry Lee, has been in custody since last week.
Lee was bitten by a police dog and arrested by San Leandro police last Thursday after leading officers on a 20-minute chase through Oakland. Lee had been armed with a handgun and was driving a Honda stolen from a BART lot, police said.
BART Officers were conducting the routine probation search on Tuesday just after 1 p.m. at Lee’s apartment at the Park Sierra Apartments located at 6450 Dougherty Road in Dublin.
According to officials all the officers conducting the search were wearing bulletproof vests, but were not part of the SWAT team. They forced their way into the apartment before one of the officers fired a shot, fatally striking Smith.
This marks the first on-duty death for the BART Police Department.
According to Alameda County Sheriff Sgt. J.D. Nelson, “It was either accidental or target misidentification.” Nelson went on to say that Smith was a 20 year veteran with the department and his wife is also a BART Police officer.
Law enforcement was a family affair for Smith, with his wife on the force and his two brothers serving in law enforcement – one an Alameda County sheriff’s deputy, the other a Newark Police officer. Smith and his wife lived in San Ramon and have a 6-year-old daughter.
“Our condolences go out to the immediate family and friends and the extended BART family and the entire BART district,” said the agency’s police chief, Kenton Rainey. “We ask that everyone please give us a chance to catch our breath and grieve.”
Since the 2009 shooting incident where an officer fatally shot Oscar Grant, an unarmed train rider, BART Police have been trying to improve the forces image. Having revamped outdated policies, improved lax oversight and their training program, the department is again under the microscope.
SACRAMENTO, CA – On Monday January 20 an estimated 28,000 people took to the streets for the 33rd annual Capital March for the Dream in Sacramento.
The Capital March for the Dream began in 1981 when the Sacramento Human Rights & Fair Housing Commission brought together several disconnected Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) activities to form the MLK Celebration Day Committee. The committee produced a city-wide celebration that consisted of: a job fair, financial, health, ecumenical service, multi-cultural talent showcase, children’s educational activities and a gospel celebration.
In 1988, the Martin Luther King Jr. Expo & Fair (MLK Job Fair), with the expressed permission of the King family to use Dr. King’s name, incorporated as its own non-profit organization. Over the years, the MLK collaborative has achieved many milestones, none more important than awarding through grants more than $170,000 in educational and work related scholarships.
In 2005, the MLK Job Fair changed their name to “MLK365″ because one day wasn’t enough. MLK365 is dedicated to the idea that, every day of the year, we should all practice King’s commitment to justice and equality for all.
The march has become a catalyst for other movements too. When Oscar Grant was killed in Oakland in 2009, his supporters took part in the march seeking justice. During the battle of Proposition 8, the gay and lesbian community joined the march.
Three generations of participants joined in this year as they walked the six mile path that started at Oak Park next to Father Keith B. Kenny, a K-8 school where 100 percent of kids qualify for free lunches and ended at the Sacramento Convention Center, where MLK365 held a Diversity Expo.
CARSON CITY, NV – An 88-year-old man is being held on charges of attempted murder after he shot his wife in the chest at a Nevada hospital.
According to the Carson City Sheriff’s Department, William Dresser is being held for shooting his wife while she was staying at a local hospital. He’s been placed on a suicide watch and his bail has been set at $225,000.
On Sunday Dresser, who according to authorities had recently purchased a small handgun, walked into the rehabilitation ward at Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center and entered the room where his wife was staying and opened fire, hitting her in the chest.
Dresser’s wife suffered life-threatening injuries and has since been transferred to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno.
The motive is not known.
Dresser’s wife had been hospitalized due to a previous injury, but officials did not consider her original injury suspicious.
VALLEJO, CA – The man shot near Vallejo’s City Hall on Saturday has died.
The man, later identified as 25-year-old Mica Williams, was driving a black Nissan Altima southbound on Santa Clara Street at approximately 2:30 p.m. Saturday, when someone opened fire on his car. Williams lost control and crashed into a parked car and then a street sign.
Responding officers found Williams behind the wheel with at least one gunshot wound. He was rushed to a local hospital where he was listed in critical condition. Williams succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.
According to witnesses, a black man in his early 20’s, wearing a multi-color shirt with white collar, started firing at Williams’ Altima and then ran to a silver Chevrolet and fled the scene.
This marks the first homicide for Vallejo in 2014.
CARMICHAEL, CA – The man shot and killed at the Marconi Garden apartment complex in Carmichael on Saturday night has been identified.
According to the Sacramento Coroner’s website, the shooting victim was 34-year-old Justin David Gonzales of Citrus Heights.
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department received numerous calls around 7:30 p.m. Saturday reporting that a man was shot in the courtyard area of the complex, located in the 4700 block of Marconi Avenue.
When deputies arrived on scene, they found Gonzales suffering from a gunshot wound and immediately started performing CPR.
Medical personnel arrived and declared Gonzales dead at the scene.
Sheriff’s Homicide Detectives are investigating and looking for information on the motive of this shooting and identity of the subject(s) involved.
Anyone having information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (916) 874-5115. Tip information may also be left anonymously at www.sacsheriff.com, by texting to 274637 (CRIMES) and entering the keyword ‘SSD’, or by calling (916) 874-TIPS (8477).
CARMICHAEL, CA – A man was shot and killed at the Marconi Garden apartment complex in Carmichael Saturday night.
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department started receiving calls at around 7:30 p.m. Saturday regarding a man being shot in the courtyard area of the complex, located in the 4700 block of Marconi Avenue.
When deputies arrived on scene, they found a man shot and immediately started performing CPR on the victim. Medical personnel arrived and declared the man dead at the scene.
It’s unknown if the victim was from the apartment complex.
Sheriff’s Homicide Detectives are investigating and are looking for information on the motive of this shooting and identity of the subject(s) involved. Anyone having information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (916) 874-5115. Tip information may also be left anonymously at www.sacsheriff.com, by texting to 274637 (CRIMES) and entering the keyword ‘SSD’, or by calling (916) 874-TIPS (8477).
SACRAMENTO, CA – Placer County Sheriff’s Deputies on Wednesday discovered the body of a Sacramento man in a field near Watt Avenue and Baseline Road.
According to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, the body was found on January 15, after the Placer County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle in a field. Upon arrival the deputy’s discovered a deceased man inside the vehicle.
The Placer County Sheriff’s Department contacted Sacramento County Sheriff’s Homicide Detectives after it was discovered the victim may be related to an ongoing investigation in Sacramento County.
According to the Sacramento County Coroner’s website, the victim was 20-year-old Ruben Rivera of Sacramento.
UPDATE (12:55 p.m.) – Sheriff’s Homicide Detectives have determined that the vehicle which contained Rivera’s body was a 1992 Toyota Tacoma truck. Rivera was reported missing along with the truck on Dec. 22. He was last seen in the 6400 block of Stoneman Drive in North Highlands.
Detectives say it is likely the vehicle and body were in the field for a few weeks, citing it was obscured from view on a piece of property that is seldom used this time of year. The cause of death has not been released.
The Homicide Detectives are continuing to investigate this case and ask that anyone with information relating to the disappearance and/or discovery of Ruben Rivera and the Toyota Tacoma vehicle contact the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department at (916) 874-5115. Tip information may also be left anonymously at www.sacsheriff.com, by texting to 274637 (CRIMES) and entering the keyword ‘SSD’, or by calling (916) 874-TIPS (8477).
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014, at approximately 1:06 p.m., officers responded to a report of an armed robbery at a pharmacy located in the 7600 block of Hospital Drive.
Two suspects entered the business and one of the suspects held employees at gunpoint. The duo got away with prescription drugs and cash and fleeing the scene in a waiting vehicle described as an older blue sedan, possibly a Toyota Corrola.
The armed suspect was described as an adult male Hispanic in his twenties, approximately 5 feet 8 inches tall, and wearing a black jacket, light grey sweatpants and a beanie hat. The second suspect is believed to be a light skinned adult male wearing a dark grey hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and a green beanie hat. Both suspects had their faces covered during the robbery.
The Sacramento Police Department urges anyone with information pertaining to this crime to contact the dispatch center at (916) 264-5471 or Crime Alert at (916) 443-HELP (4357) or text in a tip to 274637 (CRIMES). Enter SACTIP followed by the tip information. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
In October and November 2011, lawsuits were filed in each of the four California federal judicial districts seeking to halt federal enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act against marijuana dispensaries on a variety of grounds.
The suits claimed that the federal government could not take any legal action against dispensaries because such action was a violation of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, the Equal Protection Clause and the Commerce Clause.
Following separate proceedings in each district, four different district court judges issued orders dismissing the cases. The plaintiffs in three of those cases appealed those decisions. Today, in an unpublished opinion, the Ninth Circuit affirmed the dismissals in all three cases.
The United States Court for the Eastern District of California was the first district court to reject a dispensary’s lawsuit. The Eastern District action was filed at the end of 2011 by Sacramento Nonprofit Collective, doing business as El Camino Wellness Center, and Ryan Landers. It was dismissed by U.S. District Court Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. on Feb. 28, 2012.
Benjamin Wagner, the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of California, said: “Our responsibility as U.S. Attorneys is to enforce the Controlled Substances Act. Today’s decision rejecting the dispensary’s lawsuit is a straightforward application of existing precedent, which merely confirms that the CSA continues to be in full force and effect, regardless of state law.”
In the United States Court for the Southern District of California, the lawsuit filed by Alternative Community Health Care Cooperative Inc. was dismissed on March 5, 2012 by U.S. District Court Judge Dana M. Sabraw. Laura E. Duffy, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of California said: “The Ninth Circuit’s decision recognizes that U.S. Attorneys retain the right to enforce the CSA. We will continue to focus on federal interests in evaluating marijuana prosecutions in the Southern District of California, and will collaborate with our state and local partners to ensure the safety of our communities.”