Meat Loaf has canceled a number of appearances in the past due to his poor health, but the Nottingham, England show on Sunday was canceled due to band members getting sick.
The 65-year-old singer posted on his Facebook page:
We are very sorry to announce that tonight’s performance has had to be postponed due to medical reasons afflicting several members of the band
WE WILL BE BACK THOUGH AND WILL BE BACK MONDAY MAY 20th 2013”
The cancellation came 30 minutes before the doors to the Capital FM Arena were to open.
UPDATE: Meat Loaf has canceled a second show. He was due to perfrom in Manchester. Today, on his Facebook page, the singer wrote “Unfortunately not all band members have recovered and the doctors have not given us the green light to go ahead. We fully expect the tour to continue on Friday in Sheffield.”
In the past, it has been Meat Loaf with health issues. In 2011 the singer passed out twice in three days onstage. Meat Loaf has come out and said the blackouts were due to past concussions.
“I’ve had 18 concussions and for the last three or four years they’ve been flaring up. After 18 concussions I knew something had to come around, sometime. My equilibrium is off. The last few years I kind of get on stage, I will wobble a bit and stumble,” Meat Loaf told Britain’s The One Show.
The aging rocker told Reuters TV, “This is really it … I just don’t want to travel anymore,” continuing he said, “I outweigh Jagger by about 100 pounds and that counts for something. He hasn’t seen the wear and tear.”
He’s not ruling out live performances such as a run in Las Vegas.
In his last tour, Meat Loaf will be performing his greatest hits for the first half, and seven songs from his “Bat Out of Hell” album for the second half.
Earlier in the month Meat Loaf broke down into tears onstage at London’s O2 Arena during a highly emotional show, as he was thanking everyone for their support he had tears streaming down his face.
After the London show Meat Loaf posted on his Facebook page, “What an incredible night!!! London, you were beyond amazing. Thank you to each and every one of you that came and shared this evening with us!!!”
Meat Loaf’s 1977 album “Bat Out Of Hell” is still one of the bestselling albums.
‘Sports’ has sold over 10 million records and in 1984 the album placed 2nd to Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller.’
On May 14, fans will be able to get their hands on the ‘Sports 30th Anniversary Edition.” The anniversary edition will include re-mastered versions and a second disc with unreleased live versions of the songs.
Huey Lewis and The News will be making a special appearance on Dancing with the Stars on April 2 and they will also be paying a visit to Jimmy Kimmel on May 15.
They will be kicking off their U.S. tour in May at the State Theater in New Brunswick, N.J., with dates through late August. This includes a stop at Thunder Valley Casino Resort in Lincoln, Calif.
“We aimed every song on ‘Sports’ to be a hit, so in that sense it’s really a collection of singles,” Lewis told USA Today in an interview, “They were for commercial radio, because that was the only way to success in those days, just before the real boom of MTV. We made no apologies about that mission, and we’re very proud of it in retrospect.”
Original band members on the album were Sean Hopper (keyboards), Bill Gibson (drums), Johnny Colla (sax), Mario Cipollina (bass) and Chris Hayes (guitar). Their tour will include original members Lewis, Colla, Gibson and Hopper, and five newer members.
According to bandmates, Neil checked into the hospital after performing four songs and walking off stage due to severe pain.
Guitarist Nikki Stixx with Motley Crue posted on his Facebook page “As many have heard we had to cut our set short by 4 songs last night due to Vince be in severe pain on stage.. He was doubled over on his dressing room floor 5 minutes till show time and was told by the promoter to not even play but Vince said he couldn’t do that to the fans,” continuing Stixx wrote, “I’ve seen Vinnie go onstage with broken bones, his voice completely blown out and torn ligaments but he never ever cancels…Just like an athlete you sometimes have to play through the pain but last night it became to excruciating.”
The 52-year-old rocker went under the knife to remove kidney stones Sunday night. The bands manager, Allen Kovac, said, “Vince is in the recovery room. All went well and we will know more soon.”
Motley Crue is scheduled to appear in Brisbane on Tuesday, and as of this moment the schedule remains unchanged.
Kovac added that, “Vince is a warrior who has played shows through a wide ranging list of injuries. If there is a way to safely perform, he always does.”
According to Kovac, Motely Crue has never canceled a show in close to 20 years.
Today the pressure was turned up yet again for the Boy Scouts of America to allow gay members to join the Scouts, as Canadian pop-star Carly Rae Jepsen announced that she would not be performing at the annual Boy Scout National Jamboree this summer.
Last week the band Train pulled out of the West Virginia event, saying they would not perform unless they changed their ban on gays.
Train and Jepsen were to headline separate concerts at the Jamboree.
The “Call Me Maybe” singer took to Twitter writing, “I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level,” in a subsequent tweet she wrote, “and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe.”
Earlier in the year the organization found itself under pressure to remove the longstanding ban against gay membership, when in January the club stated they would remove the national ban, but leave the ultimate decision to its local chapters. A month later they delayed the vote pushing the decision out until mid-year.
Both Jepsen and Train were targeted by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, an advocacy group better known as GLAAD, soon after inking the deal to perform for the Scouts.
Change.org joined the fight gathering over 60,000 signatures pleading for Jepsen to bow out of the concert.
The Boy Scouts plan on moving forward with the Summer Jamboree which takes place every four years, attracting close to 50,000 attendees.
In a statement released by the Boy Scouts spokesman, Deron Smith they stated, “We appreciate everyone’s right to express an opinion and remain focused on delivering a great Jamboree program for our Scouts.”
What do you think, should the Boy Scouts remove the ban?
Fox news is reporting that at least 200 people were killed in a nightclub fire in southern Brazil early Sunday morning. There are conflicting reports as to the number of concert goers killed, with some estimates over 250.
Luiza Sousa, a civil police official in Santa Maria, told Reuters the blaze at the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria started when a member of the band or its production team ignited a flare, setting fire to the ceiling. The fire spread “in seconds,” Sousa said.
As is usual with a scene of this magnitude, there is some confusion as to the source of the fire. Col. Adilomar Silva, the regional coordinator of civil defense stated that the acoustical insulation caught fire during the pyrotechnic display, but stopped short of blaming it for the blaze, saying the cause was still under investigation.
Firefighters at the scene were using sledge hammers and axes to knock down exterior walls to open up more exits from the building. In television footage from the scene families and friends could be seen sobbing and searching for information outside a nearby sporting complex, where bodies were taken for identification.
“It was really fast. There was a lot of smoke, really dark smoke,” survivor Aline Santos Silva, 29, told Globonews TV. “We were only able to get out quickly because we were in a VIP area close to the door.”
President Dilma Rousseff cut short a visit to Chile and was returning to Brazil following the blaze, her spokesperson said.
Police described it as the worst tragedy ever to affect Brazil’s Rio Grande do Sul state, Band News said.
Past incidents blamed on the use of pyrotechnics include a 2003 fire at a nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island killing 100 people, another fire in 2004 in a Buenos Aires nightclub killing close to 200 people, and in 2009 an explosion killing 100 people in Russia.
The Kiss nightclub is popular with young people in Santa Maria, drawing between 2,000 and 3,000 people a night on the weekends. This weekend students were celebrating the end of summer as students return to school on Monday.
In the early morning hours of Monday morning, 34-year old singer, Gavin DeGraw was assaulted and then hit by a New York taxi.
The incident occurred in the East Village a few blocks from the National Underground, a bar that DeGraw co-owns with his brother Joey.
The New York Daily News reports that DeGraw had been hanging out with friends at an East Village restaurant in the early morning hours of Monday morning. Upon leaving, he was attacked by a group of men on First Avenue between 5th and 6th streets. He stumbled to Third Avenue and 19th Street, where he was hit, but not seriously injured by a cab.
According to police the attack didn’t appear to be a robbery and no arrests have been made – yet. You can be sure with the spotlight on DeGraw that the police are actively pursuing any and all leads to put the thick skulled idiots behind bars.
DeGraw was touring with Maroon 5 and Train promoting his latest CD “Sweeter” due to be released on September 20th.
Posted yesterday on Gavin DeGraw’s website:
Due to the recent attack and resulting injuries, Gavin DeGraw has been advised by his doctor to take additional time to recover from his concussion, broken nose and other injuries. He will therefore not be able to perform on the following scheduled concert dates:
Bethlehem, PA-August 14
Hersey, PA-August 15
Nashville, TN- August 17
Indianapolis, IN-August 18
Des Moines, IA-August 19
Chicago, IL-August 20
Clarkston, MI-August 21
Toronto, ON- August 22
He will rejoin Train and Maroon 5 in Columbia, MD on August 24; Syracuse, NY on August 25 and in Holmdel, NJ on August 26.